Transfer Student Information

Transfer Fellowship Application Process
Deadline is February 15th of each year (11:59 p.m. CST)

1. How can I become involved in the Honors College? 

There are at least four ways to become involved in the Honors College.

  • Register for an Honors class or two each semester (3.25 college GPA or higher required)
  • Become an Honors Associate which means completing 11 hours of upper-division Honors classes
  • Graduate from the Honors College which requires 29 Honors hours including a creative or research thesis
  • Get involved in other opportunities including publications, organizations, and national scholarships

2. What are the requirements to register for Honors classes at MTSU? 
Any transfer student with a 3.25 cumulative GPA may elect to enroll in Honors classes. No special permits are required, and students do not have to plan to graduate from the Honors College.

3. How can I graduate from the Honors College? 
Students may be able to count their Honors classes from other community colleges and universities towards the 29 hours required to graduate from the MTSU University Honors College. Up to 21 hours of other Honors transfer credit may be counted. To graduate from the Honors College, you must have 18 lower-division Honors classes and 11 upper-division classes including a thesis (UH 4900 and UH 4950), the lecture series (UH 3000), an interdisciplinary class (UH 3500 or 4600) and one Honors elective (or Honors Contract) that is at least three hours.

4 . What does it mean to be an Honors Associate? 
Students who lack the 18 lower-division Honors hours can earn a thesis certificate by receiving prior approval from the Honors College and completing the 11 upper-division hours including the Honors thesis. Students will not graduate from the Honors College, but completing a thesis can help make students more competitive for graduate school. In order to qualify to complete the thesis certificate, students must have at least three semesters left before graduation, have a 3.25 college GPA, and should take an Honors-approved class on research/statistics in their major before starting the thesis proposal class (UH 4900).

5 . What additional opportunities are available in the Honors College?

  • Collage: A Journal of Creative Expression
    Collage is run by a student editor and an editorial board, also composed exclusively of students. An advisor and a faculty advisory board oversee this award-winning publication. The journal serves both as an outlet for the creative works of MTSU students and as a laboratory for those interested in publication and art criticism.

  • Scientia et Humanitas
    An Honors publication that accepts articles in natural sciences, social sciences or humanities.

  • Undergraduate Fellowships Office
    The Undergraduate Fellowships Office (UFO) is housed in the Paul W. Martin Sr. Honors Building, Room 227. The primary objective for the UFO is to assist MTSU's undergraduates in competing for a range of prestigious national and international scholarships and fellowships. Leadership and high GPAs are required for most fellowships. For more information, email

  • Omicron Delta Kappa
    OΔK was the first college honor society of a national scope to give recognition and honor for meritorious leadership and service in extracurricular activities and to encourage development of general campus citizenship. Students must have a 3.5 cumulative GPA and should contact

What if I have questions?
Please email: Judy or call 615-494-8819.

decorative image of the honors bells

Honors Advising Information - Fall


MTSU Honors College logo


Follow Us!

Facebook Icon

twitter icon Instagram Logo